Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Recommendations for the Newly Engaged

1) Register early--I know a lot of people put this off they don't want to think about this right away but that is not a good idea I'll tell you why. I didn't know this but the second you get engaged and your parents call everyone they know, you will start getting gifts. I think before you are engaged you don't know about engagement gifts and the proper procedure but trust me married people know especially older people and they will start sending gifts. Before you plan your engagement party a gift will come. Go register if you want gifts you like. Don't know what you want? Register at a store you like and know you will buy most things at and then you can always return and change your mind. Just get something on your registry so you don't end up with 10 cake plates you can't return.

2) Create your wedding list but don't send out the save the date until you have checked it over and over otherwise 3 months before your wedding you may realize you should have shortened your list and now it is too late. You do not need to send everyone you think you want to invite a save the date. Only send save the dates to the people you will not double think months from now. I know the distinction is sometime difficult hence the size of my wedding.

3) Include your FMIL, small gestures go a long way and this is a relationship that will last for a long time. There is no better time than when everyone is excited and happy to set the ground work for the rest of your lives. I brought my FMIL dress shopping and to most parts of the wedding planning and I know it has strengthened our relationship. I know sometimes FMIL are tough but if it is possible to get along with them involve them in some aspect.

4) Carry a note pad with you where ever you go. You never know when inspiration will strike. Sometimes I hear a song and think I need to incorporate that. Or just want to write a note to Mr. True. The note pad is great. I started with scraps of paper that have websites vendors ideas and now they are everywhere and I know I have lost half of them. I note pad is great way to keep it all in one place and it is a good memory later.

1 comment:

  1. I def. agree with #'s 1 & 3 and both because of my FMIL. Friends of the family on Mr. B's side were so excited for us they kept bugging FMIL for our registry before we even picked a date! My mom is insistent on including FMIL too b/c when my brothers were married my mom often felt left out. I love that my mom & FMIL get along really well.

    ReplyDelete